Steps to Apply for Arkansas Alumni Association Scholarships
(Including chapter and society scholarships)
(Alumni Legacy Scholarship requires separate application.)
DEADLINE TO APPLY: 11:59pm, CST, February 15, 2017
Note: ALL applicants – including incoming freshmen, transfer students and current UA students – will apply using this general scholarship application. New incoming freshmen and transfer students may use references outside the University of Arkansas.
Alumni Association membership and having UA
alumni in your immediate family is not required for all Arkansas Alumni
Association Scholarships. By submitting the Arkansas Alumni Association
portion of the application, you are automatically applying for all
alumni association scholarships for which you are eligible.
To apply, complete the following steps in order:
1. Contact your reference provider.
- You will need at least one letter of recommendation.
- Contact your recommender in advance and let them know they will receive an automated email from the Academic Scholarship Office (email@example.com). This email will ask them to submit their recommendation online. ONLY online recommendations will be accepted.
- Please provide the name and email address of your recommender when prompted on the application.
- CURRENT UA STUDENTS: Your recommendation in the general section of the application must be from a faculty member, teaching assistant or academic advisor from the University of Arkansas who can speak to your academic abilities and potential.
- NEW UA STUDENTS: Your recommendation may be from someone outside the University of Arkansas.
- All recommendations must be submitted online no later than 11:59 PM on Monday, February 20, 2017. NOTE: It is highly recommended you submit your recommendation request for the General Application early so your recommender will have time to prepare your recommendation. You will be able to go back into the AcademicWorks system and update your General Application if needed. Be sure to check your application to know when your recommendation has been submitted.
2. Prepare a current academic résumé.
- A résumé template is available to download here to help ensure you include all needed information.
- Your résumé must be formatted as a .doc .docx or .pdf document.
3. Compose an essay on the following topic:
Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “One thing life has taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else.” What interests have come to you during your academic career, and how will they carry with you after your graduation from the University of Arkansas?
- Your essay should be approximately two pages; there are no style requirements.
- Your essay must be formatted as a .doc .docx or .pdf document
4. Go to #10 and click the link on the webpage http://scholarships.uark.edu/application-instructions.php to apply for Arkansas Alumni Association Scholarships.
5. Log back into the scholarship application often.
- Make sure you have completed all specific questions required for your college- and major-specific scholarships.
- Double check that your application status is submitted.
- Make sure your reference has submitted their letter of recommendation. REMEMBER: All recommendations must be submitted online no later than 11:59pm, CST on Monday, February 20, 2017. If your recommender is not able to provide a timely response, log back into the application and provide information for a different reference.
6. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible to be considered for need-based scholarships. Be sure to have the information shared with the University of Arkansas.