Founded in 1998 by alumni and friends of the UA's Black Alumni, the
society is a chartered organization of the Arkansas Alumni Association.
The society formed as a result of the interest generated from the Black
Alumni Reunions beginning in 1990.
The society operates under the guidelines of a constitution and bylaws approved by the Arkansas Alumni Association.
The society's mission is to promote communication and friendship
among black alumni, faculty and friends of the University of Arkansas by
providing a forum for information exchange through organized events and
The society's purpose shall be:
- To foster communication among black alumni, former and present
black students, faculty and friends, through events and other activities
- To perpetuate and foster friendship and goodwill among its members
- To promote activities that would help recognize the history,
contributions, and struggles of black persons who have attended the
University of Arkansas
- To act as a conduit for the interchange of dialogue between
black alumni, present and former black students, faculty and friends of
the University of Arkansas
- To foster the development and maintenance of current and future
scholarships and other means for assisting black students in their
education at the University of Arkansas
BAS Membership Eligibility
You are eligible to join the Black Alumni Society if you are:
- A graduate of the University of Arkansas
- A friend of the University
- A faculty/staff member
BAS Membership Opportunities and Benefits
Membership in the Black Alumni Society provides you with opportunities to:
- Be part of an active organization supporting the University of Arkansas and black students.
- Meet and socialize with black alums who attended the University of Arkansas.
- Receive special communications from the Black Alumni Society, including The Black Alumni Newsletter.
- Assist in changing the diversity of the University of Arkansas by recruiting black students, as well as becoming a mentor.
- Sponsor programs that enhance the relationship between the University of Arkansas and black alumni.
- Receive special invitations to black alumni activities such as reunions and other social events.
- Enjoy the added benefits of membership in the Arkansas Alumni Association.
How to Join the Black Alumni Society
You automatically become a member of the Black Alumni Society when
you become an active member of the Arkansas Alumni Association. Join online or call 479.575.2801 to become a member today.